Wednesday 25 May 2011

Autumn in Victoria

The colours of autumn always mesmerise me.  While living in Perth, I didn't get much autumn scenery.
Since moving to Melbourne, I always wanted to see autumn in its glory.  Last year, I missed it completely as I spent all my daylight hours in office. I drove to office in the dark and when I got home, it was dark, again.  This year, I said to myself that I have to catch some glimpses of the autumn colours before it is gone again.

Last weekend, that desire was fulfilled in town of Kyneton, slightly over an hour's drive from Point Cook. (Living in the west saves us at least 30 mins on the drive.) The place was lined with boulevards of big trees with leaves shimmering like gold under the afternoon sun. It also has a botanical garden and a racecourse.  I chanced upon the racecourse as I drove past it. Oh, my heart leapt with joy - the road leading into the racecourse is like a grand entrance adorned with nature's golden canopy.



It is a nice place for a picnic too.



I have been told that Bright has got the most beautiful autumn scenery. But it takes more than 4 hours to get there and accommodation could be hard to book.  So, I am very pleased with my discovery in Kyneton.

It is a chic country town with two hatted restaurants - Royal George Hotel and Annie Smither's Bistro. I had an amazing lunch at Royal George.  As they were promoting the Harvest Festival, there was a special offer of two-course lunch for $35.  It was a very sincere offer. You get to pick from the main menu but the portion size is smaller. I had the tuna entree and the wagyu beef main. I ordered a side of foie gras pate for $8 to go with the beef. The combination was sublime.




Beautiful scenery and soulful food. I am satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment